I know last week I said we were going to ICTR, but that didn’t happen last week. It did (sort of) happen today, though. We went there for our international law class with the intention of getting a tour, listening to a speaker and then seeing a trial. But of course once we finally got in we learned that the court session was closed because of a sensitive testimony and so we never got to see a case in session… leaving us with a documentary and speaker. It was a fine documentary and the speaker was very knowledgeable but it was just not what I was hoping for. Also I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about the quite melodramatic statement that on April 6th the people of Rwanda awoke to discover that “God had abandoned Rwanda and would not return for 100 days.” Everyone deals with tragedies differently, but I’m pretty sure it can’t be empirically proven that God just straight up left.
Basically I have spent the last week writing papers for all of my classes. This week we have six papers due. Six. Grasp that for a second. And now you understand why I haven’t written much. Actually the real issue is not necessarily not having time to write, it’s more about not having anything new to write about since I’m spending my time writing papers. Although I will say that I have learned a lot of very interesting things in writing these papers. I know I already listed some of them, but the list of all the papers I’m writing are about: Female Genital Mutilation in East Africa, the sewage treatment plant that I talked about in an earlier post (actually two papers about that topic), rape as a weapon of war and its correlation (or possible lack thereof) with HIV transmission, a very unique volcano in Tanzania, and the Lord’s Resistance Army and regional efforts to contain the conflict. Some of you may be thinking that none of that sounds remotely interesting, but I know I made a couple of you jealous with some of those topics :)
I guess those are about the only updates I can give since, like I said, nothing super exciting is happening. Next week is final exams and the week after that is Zanzibar! Please google image search “Zanzibar beach” and tell me you’re not jealous. I’m not sick of Tanzania, but there are definitely a number of things that I’m looking forward to doing in three weeks. One is not having to use a bednet every night while I sleep. I’m getting excited just thinking about how easy it will be to get into my bed. Also, I’m excited to not have to plan showers twenty minutes ahead of time in order to have hot water. And I’m ready for some cold milk. The milk here pretty much always needs to be boiled before you drink it, which only really allows for you to put it in coffee, etc. and not drink just straight. And I want Chipotle.
Wish there was some way to get some finals-week cookies to you! Sounds like a very cool getaway.
ReplyDeleteI want Chipotle too. Really bad.
ReplyDelete